IN NATURE'S LAP

 Gently flows the Manas

with the shimmering rays of the

moonbeam touching every part of it.

Takes me to another world

where I dance among mermaids and

sing with fairies.

Manas National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Assam. The park derives its name from the Manas river which is a major tributary of the Brahmaputra and flows through the heart of the National Park. It is home to numerous avifauna and different species of plants. When as part of our field visit we were instructed by our teachers to visit this national park my father was a bit hesitant at first. The reason being the cold wintry days of December but he finally agreed to my request as last. Packing my bags I prepared myself for my three day trip to this beautiful destination. We started our journey from North Lakhimpur College early in the morning at about 4 a.m.We had to travel all the way to this Wildlife Sanctuary located in the foothills of the Himalayas. We were a group of young enthusiasts zoologist all excited to travel to the land of the tigers. This National park is home to the Royal Bengal Tiger along with numerous other animals like Indian elephants, Indian Rhinoceros, Asian Water Buffaloes, gaurs, etc to name a few. We reached the national park at around 7 p.m in the evening. Arrangements have already been made. When I got down from our Tata Sumo I was shivering in cold. Having our food I proceeded to the rooms allotted for us. The next two days I had trekked to the depths of the forest, night safari to track the Royal Bengal Tiger. Though I saw many other animals I couldn't spot the tiger which I wanted to see the most. The early morning trails into the woods for bird watching activities, shopping in the local market, bonfire in the woods are memories that would last a lifetime. Manas is home to many rare and endangered endemic wildlife like pygmy hog, Golden langur, etc. The best part of my stay in Manas was one of my night travel to spot the nocturnal creatures in the woods. At some point, I would see a sambar staring at me from behind a bush, and at another point, I would see one obstructing the movement of our vehicle. At one point we even reached a dead end. My journey to the beauty of the virgin woods ended where I got to learn so many things, gather new experiences like counting the footprints of the tiger population, concepts like camera trapping, and many more. Manas National Park is a worth visit for wildlife enthusiasts and anyone who likes traveling. It seems sort of a utopia that such a place could ever exist but it does and would never fail to enthrall you.

                                                              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TRIP TO VIZAG AND ARAKU

THE JOY OF READING

KONARK SUN TEMPLE