IN THE WORLD'S LARGEST RIVER ISLAND

    Majuli, considered to be the biggest river island in the world is located on the river Brahmaputra in Assam. It was the occasion of Rongali Bihu. Early in the morning, my father told me, What about a trip to Majuli. He had promised me a trip to Majuli after my 10th exams. I agreed readily. I consider myself lucky as my house is located in the Lakhimpur district of Assam. This makes it possible to travel to the river island so easy. I woke up early in the morning and got dressed. I was super excited about this trip. People around us were busy with Bihu celebrations. The sound of dhol, Pepa, and toka (musical instruments)was to be heard in everyone's courtyard. Bihu songs are very special. It is these songs that add to the beauty of the festive fervor. Bidding goodbye to my mother I got into my papa's bike. I had read so much about the river island ever since a child. Majuli has a large number of Satras. They refer to the Vaishnavite monasteries.

We started our trip early in the morning on the 15th of April 2008. My board exams had just ended and I felt relieved. My school life with a span of twelve years ended with these exams. My sole purpose behind this visit was to see and learn something about these Satras I had heard about so much. These Satras in Assam plays a significant role in the development of Assamese culture. Many tourists from different countries across the world come for a visit to Majuli every year particularly at the time of Raas which means a type of festival which helps in turn in bringing out the artistic talents of the Assamese people. Majuli is also famous for Mukha or mask making. The creative minds of the people of Majuli help a lot in the development of different types of Mukhas (mask) which the people wear at the time of raas with the portray of different characters.
Majuli is also famous for the Satriya dance which is one of the Indian classical dance forms. Satriya dance which translates to the dance of the Satras.Every Satra in Majuli has a particular significance associated with it. This riverine island in the state of Assam is the meeting point of Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardev the Vaishnavite scholar from Assam and his disciple Madhavdeva which is known as "Manikanchan Sanjog".

After spending three days exploring the Satras and the works associated with them, I planned to return back home on my fourth day. It was a wonderful experience taking the winding roads, crossing rivers, passing mud houses, listening to the Bihu Songs in the Mishing villages, see the jhau bon dance in the breeze. All of these reminded me of Rajnikanta Bordoloi's novel Miri Jiyori which is the perfect portray of the love between two young lovers and the challenges they face from society. The people of Majuli are very welcoming. I had a wonderful stay.


-Today I have an Android phone which makes it easier to click photos for my blog. When I visited Majuli I didn't have one. I don't have a single picture of this journey.

Note

-Miri Jiyori is a novel written by Rajnikanta Bordoloi.
-Mishing is a community living by the side of river banks in the state of Assam.


Beautiful Mask with the depiction of different mythological characters






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TRIP TO VIZAG AND ARAKU

THE JOY OF READING

KONARK SUN TEMPLE