THE GIVING TREE

 Among the many books that I read, the one written by Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree is one of my favorite. When I first read the story to Pahi, that was my last meeting with her as her 'Miss'.A cute little one she is one of my most loved students. My journey with her spanned for roughly six months. A meeting of one hour for five days of the week was all that I could have with her. Every evening I would walk all the way down the lonely road of my institute to teach her. If someday I had to travel to the bazaar I would ensure that I reach her home on time. When I reach her home, someday she would come wearing a beautiful skirt with lovely dandelions on it, at other times her whole face would be smeared in powder. When she sat by me, I felt like I was having with me the most beautiful gift of my life. We shared those moments together. For me, it was more than my scheduled tuition classes. She accepted everything I taught her. One day when I asked "Aaj kya padhana he"She answered "Miss,Aaj yehi padha dijiye"(What should I be teaching to you today?)Then I started the story
It is the story of a tree and a boy beautifully illustrated by Shel Silverstein. It depicts the relationship the boy had with the tree and is one of the best books for children. At the end of the day, I saw her face brimming up. I returned back to my hostel happy and contended that I played my part well. I feel stories are the best way to connect with people around us. For small children, it opens up a whole world of possibilities and wonder. This is something which I feel should be our obligation towards our children...to kindle the light of knowledge and shape little saplings. They are our hopes and aspirations for a better future.




Picture courtesy
http://sdsuchildlit.blogspot.com/2015/11/finally-saying-thank-you-brief-look-at.html

Here is a link to the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CzBh1iKweI&t=190s


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TRIP TO VIZAG AND ARAKU

THE JOY OF READING

KONARK SUN TEMPLE