CULTURE


BALI YATRA


Bali Yatra also known as  Boita Bandana which translates to a Voyage to Bali is a fair held in the city of Cuttack. The fair celebrates the rich maritime history of the eastern coastal state, Odisha. It is held on the banks of the Mahanadi river on the Gadagadia Ghata. The maritime history of Odisha has reference to mariners who sailed to faraway lands like Bali, Sumatra, etc for expansion of trade and culture. The fair is considered to be one of the largest in Asia. Bali Yatra is the celebration of the unique connection of Bali with India.

The festive fervor begins in the early hours of the morning in the month of 'Kartika Purnima' which is considered to be very auspicious. People of Odisha sing...Aa ka ma boi, pan gua thoi.....People sail beautiful paper boats to mark the occasion which goes floating many miles away in the Mahanadi river. This ritual on the banks of the Mahanadi river is followed by a week-long celebration of cultural extravaganza and many events showcasing the beauty of Odisha to the world. I was very excited


to attend the Bali Yatra. My stay in the capital city, Bhubaneswar made my travel to Cuttack quite easy. My friends from the northeast agreed to attend the event together. We were guided by our friend from Odisha. She helped me understand the significance of the event. Whenever I travel to any new place the first thing I do always is surf through the internet, click Wikipedia. This gives me first-hand information about the place and its significance.

When we arrived at Cuttack it was afternoon. From Cuttack, we took an auto to our destination. The auto took us through winding roads. Cuttack seemed to be more populated with streets packed with people. I felt a bit dizzy. It was the fourth day of the event. Everywhere I saw people with items for sale on the roads. If I could I wanted to buy so many things but then I choose to visit the stalls and talk with the traders instead.

The best part of the event is the delicious Odia cuisines, cultural events showcasing Odissi dance and songs, and local artifacts. It is best to visit the fair during the evening. Visitors escape the scorching heat of the sun and the dust. Bali Yatra gave me memories of a lifetime. It took me back to a time when Sadabas (Odia mariners) set sail in their boats to Bali, Indonesia. This festival is the celebration of this unique bond between the two countries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TRIP TO VIZAG AND ARAKU

THE JOY OF READING

KONARK SUN TEMPLE