India International Cherry Blossom Festival

 My love for cherry blossoms is immense. The writings of one of my favorite writers Bond made me fall in love more with them. Added to this were the lines of Pablo Neruda 

I want

to do with you what spring does to the cherry trees.

When I first read the poem 'Every  Day You Play'  I was mesmerized by the beauty of the last two lines. I envisioned a couple waiting under a cherry tree with the tree decked in pink cherry flowers. After  that I have read the same lines several times. There is so much beauty hidden in it. Here dear readers is one of my most loved poems written by the great poet Neruda.


Every Day You Play


Every day you play with the light of the universe.

Subtle visitor, you arrive in the flower and the water.

You are more than this white head that I hold tightly

as a cluster of fruit, every day, between my hands.


You are like nobody since I love you.

Let me spread you out among yellow garlands.

Who writes your name in letters of smoke among the stars of the south?

Oh let me remember you as you were before you existed.


Suddenly the wind howls and bangs at my shut window.

The sky is a net crammed with shadowy fish.

Here all the winds let go sooner or later, all of them

The rain takes off her clothes.


The birds go by, fleeing.

The wind.The wind.

I can contend only against the power of men.

The storm whirls dark leaves

and turns loose all the boats that were moored last night to the sky.


You are here. Oh, you do not run away.

You will answer me to the last cry.

Cling to me as though you were frightened.

Even so, at one time a strange shadow ran through your eyes.


Now, now too, little one you bring me honeysuckle.

and even your breast smell of it.

While the sad wind goes slaughtering butterflies

I love you, and my happiness bites the plum of your mouth.


How you must have suffered getting accustomed to me,

my savage, solitary soul, my name that sends them all running.

So many times we have seen the morning star burn, kissing our eyes,

and over our heads, the gray light unwind in turning fans.


My words rained over you, stroking you.

A long time I have loved the sunned mother -of -pearl of your body.

I go so far as to think that you won the universe.

I will bring you happy flowers from the mountains, bluebells,

dark hazels, and rustic baskets of kisses.

I want

to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.


Pablo Neruda


People from around the world travel all the way to Japan to see and get mystified by the beauty of the cherry tree when they blossom. But there is a beautiful north eastern state Meghalaya known popularly as "Abode of Clouds" which hosts the India International Cherry Blossom Festival. When I first read about it in an article I was so excited. Then I decided someday I would plan a trip to Meghalaya to enjoy the beauty of these blooms. Caught in the hurly-burly of everyday life and packed schedules this dream of mine has not turned into reality till now. I believe travel plans are more exciting when we have a friend of ours who is willing to host the entire banquet for us. I consider myself lucky.I have a very cute friend from Meghalaya who invited me to her home for a Christmas celebration. I am eager to explore more about the state, the people though I have already visited it once.

Shillong is referred to as the 'Scotland of the East'.It is a popular tourist destination. There are so many places for sightseeing in and around. The Cherry Blossom Festival in Shillong is organized by the Government of Meghalaya. Held during the month of November it is a gala event which is held every year to celebrate the unique autumn flowering of the Himalayan Cherry blossoms along with several other cultural events. Come and explore the beauty of the cherry blossoms along with a plethora of other activities such as live music gigs, beauty pageants, and many more. And don't forget to savor the taste of the local cuisines and the mouth watering delicacies.


                                                 A picture sent by my friend from Meghalaya, Annie at my request.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TRIP TO VIZAG AND ARAKU

THE JOY OF READING

KONARK SUN TEMPLE