UDAYAGIRI AND KHANDAGIRI CAVES

 Having historical and cultural significance the Udayagiri and Khandagiri caves are located in Bhubaneswar, India. During my stay in Bhubaneswar, this beautiful destination was the first on my list of places to visit. I consider myself lucky to have visited this beautiful site well protected by the Archaeological Survey of India twice.

From a height, I could see the tall buildings of Bhubaneswar and Dhauli. Climbing all the stairs to Khandagiri when I finally reached the top I could see a lot of monkeys feeding on the items carried by tourists. There is a Jain temple at the top. In one of the caves, I could also see the inscription of King Kharavela written in the rocks. During my visit to Old Town, Bhubaneswar as part of Ekamra Walks  I found out that the rocks used for making the temples which have lost with time were brought from the querries of Udayagiri and Khandagiri caves.

Some of the caves of Udayagiri are

Rani Gumpha

Hathi Gumpha etc.

With the passage of time, it is seen that some of the sculptures have been destroyed. It is very essential on the part of all people visiting all the way to Bhubaneswar to enjoy the beauty of the caves to understand the historical significance associated with them and imperative on the part of the authorities to see that proper maintenance and care is taken to preserve this historical site for our future generation.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TRIP TO VIZAG AND ARAKU

THE JOY OF READING

KONARK SUN TEMPLE